Hearty Lentil Soup
Ah lentil soup. It rocks my world. Growing up, my grandma would make me her famous lentil soup every winter and sometimes even on a hot summer day because I loved it so much. Thankfully, to this day she still does.
This is her recipe with my spin on it. And of course I had to add some kale to it. ;) I'm so honored to have this recipe featured on one of my favorite wellness guru's, Kris Carr's website!
This is a hearty soup that will warm you up and leave you satisfied. Oh and in case you didn't know lentils are one of the healthiest foods you can eat.
Here are some of the benefits of these protein packed gems:
Loaded with soluble fiber which helps to lower cholesterol and prevents constipation. Awesome cleansing food!
Great source of magnesium and iron
Stabilizes blood sugar
Low in calories! 1 cup of cooked lentils contain around 230 calories
I hope you enjoy it as much as I do! xo
Yield: 3-4 servings
2 cups of dried lentils (rinsed)
1.5 – 2 cups of tomato sauce (homemade or organic store bought)
1.5 tablespoons of oil
3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
3 carrots, washed, peeled and chopped
3 stalks of celery, washed and chopped
3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped (or any fresh herbs you have on hand)
1 tablespoon dried oregano
2 cups of kale or spinach
sea salt and pepper, to taste
2 cups of purified water
1 bay leaf
1. In a medium pot, begin to saute the garlic in oil over medium heat for 1-2 minutes (be careful to not let the garlic brown).
2. Add the carrots, celery, herbs, salt and pepper and cook for 7-9 minutes or until veggies are tender (stir occasionally).
3. Add the the lentils, tomato sauce, water and bay leaf.
4. Cover with lid and raise the heat to high to bring the soup to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to low and add kale and more water if consistency is too thick.
5. Let simmer with lid for 30 – 40 minutes or until lentils are soft, stirring occasionally.
6. When lentils are done, season with salt and pepper and serve.